Tuesday, October 10, 2006




So I've finished my script and shot list at...5:38 a.m. Since I haven't got a chance to do any test shots, I've selected screengrabs from a few films that are serving as primary sources for visual inspiration. It should come as no surprise that they're all from films noir--except Citizen Kane--since it could be said in all fairness that "a study in light and shadow" is more than a requisite for the genre, but one of the defining points of the noir aesthetic. So despite that my short is more of a horror film than any of these are, I hope to make it more than their brethen when it comes to the visual aesthetic. The screengrabs are from Touch of Evil (dir. Orson Welles); The Third Man (dir. Carol Reed); and Asphalt Jungle (dir. John Huston). These, in addition to the shots in my head, are going to serve as examples of the lighting scheme I want to emulate for this project.

No comments: