Monday, January 09, 2012

GOALS 2012: Progress Report #1

My well-worn hardcopy of ALIENS

Accomplished:
1. I've written 10.5 pages of my script's first act in the past week, bringing the total length to 18 pages.
2. I spent three days cutting and economizing, bringing the total page count down to 13 pages.
3. I read the first act of Kramer vs. Kramer
4. I have been comparing portions of Cameron's first and final Aliens drafts, to see how he economized a 134-page first draft down to the 105-page final draft. It's been reassuring to see that I've been using similar tactics of economy, at least in terms of writing description.
5. I have been talking to people about forming the weekly directing workshop...

Not accomplished:
1. But there are few people interested in the workshop who are at a skill level comparable to me. And only one of them is really serious about the craft.
2. I did not finish reading an entire script last week.
3. I did not sketch a single thumbnail
4. I did not watch any movies silently (though I did watch Finding Nemo in German at work, so that's kind of a half-win)

This week:
1. I will finish the first act of my screenplay
2. I will write a manifesto for the peer directing group
3. I will finish reading Kramer vs. Kramer
4. I will thumbnail a scene from Kramer vs. Kramer
5. I will watch KvK with the sound off.
6. I will continue to use Aliens two drafts as a reference point for economy

No comments: